Being a Syrian Student in Northern Cyprus: An Ethnographic Study
Yıl 2022, Cilt 2, Sayı 1, 22 – 40, 31.03.2022
This ethnographic study aims to examine Syrian students’ various experiences with belonging and identity while studying at Eastern Mediterranean University. The main objective of this study, which consists of the experiences of a sample group of students, is to examine in detail the subject of belonging and identity. The model of the study is ethnographic research, one of the qualitative research methods. Ten Syrian students participated in the fieldwork. The interviews were analyzed with a thematic analysis approach. As a result of the study, we see that Syrian students emphasize the similarities between the TRNC and Syria, such as food and climatic structure. However, in addition to this positive similarity, we found that differences in language and culture stressed the students. The relationship between Syrian culture and some of the variables, about both belonging and identity, is examined in detail and the results are given in the light of the literature as a result of this study.
- Akıncı, B., Nergiz, A., & Gedik, E. (2015). Uyum Süreci Üzerine Bir Değerlendirme: Göç ve Toplumsal Kabul. Göç Araştırmaları Dergisi, 1(2), 58-83.
- Alavi, M., & Mansor, S. M. S. (2011). Categories of Problems Among International Students in Universiti Teknologi Malaysia. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 30, 1581- 1587.
- Al-Fattal, A. (2010). Understanding Student Choice of University and Marketing Strategies in Syrian Private Higher Education. The University of Leeds.
- Algan, Y., Bisin, A., & Verdier, T. (2012). Perspectives on Cultural Integration of Immigrants. Oxford Scholarship.
- Alptekin, D. (2011). Toplumsal Aidiyet ve Gençlik: Üniversite Gençliğinin Aidiyeti Üzerine Sosyolojik Bir Araştırma. Selçuk University. Social Sciences Institute. Doctoral Dissertation.
- Ateş, H. & Bektaş, M. (2017). Suriyelilerin Toplumsal, Kültürel ve Ekonomik Entegrasyonu. TESAM Uluslararası Sosyal Bilimler Sempozyumu.
- Atieno, O. P. (2009). An Analysis of the Strengths and Limitation of Qualitative and Quantitative Research Paradigms. Problems of Education in the 21st Century, 13(1), 13-38.
- Baier, S. T. (2005). International Students: Culture Shock and Adaptation to the US Culture. Eastern Michigan University.
- Baklashova, T. A., & Kazakov, A. V. (2016). Challenges of International Students’ Adjustment to a Higher Education Institution. International Journal of Environmental and Science Education, 11(8), 1821-1832.
- Balci, M. E. (2017). Kimlik ve Aidiyet Bağlamında Zorunlu Göç ve Uyum: Ankara Önder Mahallesi Örneği. Ankara Yıldırım Beyazıt University. Social Sciences Institute. Master Thesis.
- Barrett, M. D., Huber, J., & Reynolds, C. (2014). Developing Intercultural Competence through Education. Strasbourg: Council of Europe Publishing.
- Bhasin Consulting Inc. (2016). Syrian Cultural Practices A Guide for Refugee Sponsors, BCI Document, February, https://bhasinconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/bci-Syrian-Cultural- Practices-Guide.pdf
- Berry, J. W. (1997). Immigration, Acculturation and Adaptation. Applied Psychology: An International Review, 46, 5–68
- Cavanagh, C. (2012). To What Extent Has the Impact of Overseas Studying Changed Education Student’s Perceptions of Higher Education? EDSH009 Research Project: Education Studies. Liverpool Hope University.
- Clark, A. (2007). Understanding Community: A Review of Networks, Ties and Contacts. ESRC National Centre for Research Methods NCRM Working Paper Series.
- Costa-Font, J., & Cowell, F. (2015). Social Identity and Redistributive Preferences: A Survey. Journal of Economic Surveys, 29(2), 357-374.
- Cresswell, J. W. (1998). Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design: Choosing among Five Traditions. Sage Publications.
- Doerre, S. (2001). Negotiating Gender and Authority in Northern Syria, International Negotiation, 6(2), 251-268. doi: https://doi.org/10.1163/15718060120849062
- Dwyer, M. M., & Peters, C. K. (2004). The Benefits of Study Abroad. Transitions Abroad, 37(5), 56-58.
- Eraslan, A. (2015). Antakya’da Yaşayan Özbeklerde Kimlik ve Aidiyet. Yayınlanmamış Doktora Tezi, Yeditepe Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Antropoloji Anabilim Dalı, İstanbul.
- Erdem, B. K., & Sayılgan, Ö. B. (2011). Ataerkil ve Anaerkil Toplumun Tarihsel Savaşımının” Avatar” Filmi Bağlamında İncelenmesi. İstanbul Arel Üniversitesi İletişim Çalışmaları Dergisi, 1(1), 111-132.
- Ergin, H. (2016). Turkish University Students’ Perceptions towards their Syrian Classmates. Egitim ve Bilim, 41(184).
- Fisseha, M. (2017). Syrian Refugee Crisis, From Turkey to European Union-Methods and Challenge. Journal of Community Positive Practices, 17(3), 34-57.
- Fund, C. C. (2010). Partnerships: Frameworks for Working Together. Strengthening Nonprofits: A Capacity Builder’s Resource Library.
- Gao, F., Lai, C., & Halse, C. (2018). Belonging beyond the Deficit Label: The Experiences of “Non-Chinese Speaking” Minority Students in Hong Kong. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development. doi: 10.1080/01434632.2018.1497042
- Gentles, S. J., Charles, C., Ploeg, J., & McKibbon, K. A. (2015). Sampling in Qualitative Research: Insights from an Overview of the Methods Literature. The Qualitative Report, 20(11), 1772.
- Geschiere, P., & Meyer, B. (1998). Globalization and Identity: Dialectics of Flow and Closure. Introduction. Development and Change, 29(4), 601-615.
- Given, L. M. (2008). The Sage Encyclopedia of Qualitative Research Methods. Sage Publications.
- Gökçe, O. (2003). İletişim Bilimine Giriş: Insanlararası Ilişkilerin Sosyolojik Bir Analizi. Turhan Kitabevi Yayınları.
- Greenwood, D., Long, C. R., & Dal Cin, S. (2013). Fame and the Social Self: The Need to Belong, Narcissism, and Relatedness Predict the Appeal of Fame. Personality and Individual Differences, 55(5), 490-495.
- Güçlü, N. (1996). Yabancı Öğrencilerin Uyum Problemleri. Hacettepe Üniversitesi Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi, 12(12).
- Hann, C., & Dunn, E. (1996). Civil Society. London and New York: Routledge.
- Hitti, P. K. (1959). “Syria, a short history: being a condensation of the authors History of Syria, including Lebanon and Palestine.” Macmillan.
- Kağnıcı, D. Y. (2017). Suriyeli Mülteci Çocukların Kültürel Uyum Sürecinde Okul Psikolojik Danışmanlarına Düşen Rol ve Sorumluluklar. İlköğretim Online, 16(4).
- Kaya, A. (2017). A Tale of Two Cities: Aleppo and Istanbul. European Review, 25(3), 365- 387.
- Kuşat, A. (2003). Bir Değerler Sistemi Olarak “Kimlik” Duygusu ve Atatürk. Erciyes Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi. Cilt 1, Sayı 15.
- Levent, F., & Karaevli, Ö. (2013). Uluslararası Öğrencilerin Eğitimine Yönelik Politikalar ve Türkiye için Öneriler. Journal of Educational Sciences, Volume-Issue: 38 pp: 97-117 • ISSN: 1300-8889. doi:10.15285/EBD.2013385569
- Lu, M. (2001). International Students and University Support Services: Utilization and perceived effectiveness. State University of New York at Buffalo. ProQuest Dissertations Publishing.
- Lukosius, V., & Festervand, T. A. (2013). Marketing Study Abroad Programs: A Student Recruitment Model. American Journal of Business Education (Online), 6(5), 483.
- Mason, J. (2002). Qualitative interviewing: Asking, Listening and Interpreting. Qualitative research in action, 6, 225-241.
- McAdams, D. P., & Cox, K. S. (2010). Self and Identity across The Lifespan. The Handbook of Life-Span Development.
- Mendoza Alvarez, M. (2017). Belonging: Perception of Identity of Bolivian Migrant’s Descendants in Sweden. Linnaeus University.
- Miş, N. (2011). Suriye 2011. Ortadoğu Yıllığı, İstanbul: Açılım Yayınevi.
- Palys, T. (2008). Purposive Sampling. The Sage Encyclopedia of Qualitative Research Methods. (Vol.2). Sage: Los Angeles, pp. 697-8.
- Phang, S. L. (2013). Factors Influencing International Students’ Study Destination Decision Abroad. Master’s thesis. University of Gothenburg.
- Pinto, I. R. (2006). A Subjective Group Dynamics Approach to Group Socialization Processes. University of Porto.
- Reeves, S., Kuper, A., & Hodges, B. D. (2008). Qualitative Research Methodologies: Ethnography. BMJ: British Medical Journal (Online), 337.
- Reeves, S., Peller, J., Goldman, J., & Kitto, S. (2013). Ethnography in Qualitative Educational Research: AMEE Guide No. 80. Medical Teacher, 35(8), E1365-E1379.
- Reynolds, S. (2016). Syrian Culture, Canadian Culture, & Integration. Regional Connections. Retrieved on: 02.07.2021. https://regionalconnections.ca/wp- content/uploads/2016/04/Session-2-Cultures-and-Integration-2.pdf
- Silva, D.F. (2017). Patterns of Belonging. Promoting Integration of Syrian and Eritrean Refugees in Nijmegen. Nijmegen School of Management.
- Sirin, S., & Rogers Sirin, L. (2015). The Educational and Mental Health Needs of Syrian Refugee Children. Migration Policy Institute.
- Sutton, M. (2005). The Globalization of Multicultural Education. Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies: Vol. 12 : Iss. 1 , Article 3.
- Talebloo, B., & Baki, R. B. (2013). Challenges Faced by International Postgraduate Students during Their First Year of Studies. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 3(13), 138- 145.
- Tarrant, M. A., Rubin, D. L., & Stoner, L. (2015). The Effects of Studying Abroad and Studying Sustainability on Students’ Global Perspectives. Frontiers: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Study Abroad, 26, 68-82.
- Teeple, G. (2000). What is Globalization?. In: McBride S., Wiseman J. (eds) Globalization and its Discontents. Palgrave Macmillan, London. https://doi.org/10.1057/9780333981610_2
- Tremblay, K., Lalancette, D., & Roseveare, D. (2012). Assessment of Higher Education Learning Outcomes. Feasibility Study Report, 1.
- Trotter, R. T. (2012). Qualitative Research Sample Design and Sample Size: Resolving and Unresolved Issues and Inferential Imperatives. Preventive medicine, 55(5), 398-400.
- UNESCO. (2014). Syria’s Six World Heritage sites placed on List of World Heritage in Danger. Retrievedon 03.07.2021. https://whc.unesco.org/en/news/1038 Uzun, Ö., & Sevinç, R. N. (2015). The relationship between Cultural Sensitivity and Perceived Stress among Nurses Working with Foreign Patients. Journal of Clinical Nursing. Volume 24, Issue 23-24, Pages 3400-3408.
- Usta, S., Sayın, Y., & Güzelipek, Y. A. (2017). Yabancı Uyruklu Öğrencilerin Kente ve Üniversiteye Uyumu:Karaman İli Örneği. Journal of Higher Education & Science/Yüksekögretim ve Bilim Dergisi, 7(3).
- Yurtsever, H. (2009). Kişilik Özelliklerinin Stres Düzeyine Etkisi ve Stresle Başa Çıkma Yolları: Üniversite Öğrencileri Üzerine Bir Araştırma. Doctoral dissertation, DEÜ Sosyal Bilimleri Enstitüsü.
- Wofford, M. C., & Tibi, S. (2018). A human right to literacy education: Implications for serving Syrian refugee children. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 20: 182–190.
|Erken Görünüm Tarihi||31 Mart 2022|
|Yayımlanma Tarihi||31 Mart 2022|
|Yayınlandığı Sayı||Yıl 2022, Cilt 2, Sayı 1|
total views 671 , views today 3